Sunday, February 1, 2009

Is Goa the Palm Springs of Southeast Asia?


We landed Friday afternoon in Goa. Goa has been on my list of places to visit forever. But when we were walking around Friday afternoon on Calangte Beach, I started to wonder if this was the Goa I had heard about... Where were the young people partying on the beach? We were looking for a chill bar shack to grab a drink at and half of them were empty. After walking on the beach for a bit we walked up to one and I stopped in my track. Everyone in there was over 60s, sunburned and sipping on some beer.. Did somebody forget to tell me that Goa is the Palm Springs of Southeas Asia? The waiter told us that a lot of older people come to Goa to semi-retire because its relatively cheap. He said a lot of Europeans and Australians come there. We were actually the first Americans he had met. But, tourism in general is down and particularly among young people because of the economy. Luckily, we found a local club Titos to go dancing and there were a ton of "young" people. Goa turns out to have a little something for everyone no matter what age, style etc.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: